Democratising disability... taking control
The United Nation’s Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities recognises the importance for persons with disabilities to have the freedom to make their own choices, and be actively involved in decision-making processes about policies and programs. The session will explore barriers in taking control regardless of ability or location, and mechanisms to facilitate democracy in the disability sector and community.
The session includes key note speakers who will describe their journey to making decisions, taking control and the barriers they have faced.
Join us for a panel discussion on “Democratising Disability – Taking Control”. How do you do it? What are the barriers? What will it look like in the future? These are just a few of the questions that will be raised during the session.
The discussion will be led by:
- His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, Governor of South Australia
- Jocelyn Neumueller, Olympian and gold medal paracanoeist at the Australian and Oceania Championships
- Maurice Corcoran AM, Manager of the South Australian Community Visitor Scheme
- Tamara Tomic, Chief Executive of the LSA
- Peter Stewart, Chief Executive Officer of PQSA
- Nahtanha Davey, Chief Executive Officer of Brain Injury SA
- Anne Gale, the South Australian Public Advocate
More speakers to be announced soon.
Dr Niki Vincent, South Australian Commissioner for Equal Opportunity, is the master of ceremonies.
You might be interested in
Where can writing take you? OzAsia Festival presents a day-long series of transcultural, transmedia events. Writing China is a literary banquet of sound, text and image from Australia and Greater...
Zac Fitz-Walter and Stephen Yarwood will take us through a thought-provoking session with ideas about the roles of planning, economic development, health and community development. Those who use, plan, develop...
As public participation in the arts evolves, contemporary practices are emerging that challenge how art takes its place within the cultural framework of our society. This event provides an opportunity...