What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and your use of the Open State website.
If you are a registered user, we may collect the following information:
- your full name and email address
- your username and password for the Open State website
- information about whether you subscribe to our newsletters and any other optional communications from us
- information that you post on the Open State website (if applicable)
- any other information that you submit through your interaction with the Open State website, such as your vote, comments, ideas or poll responses.
How will we use your personal information?
We will use the information about you:
- to administer the Open State website and your account on the Open State website
- to identify when you sign into your account on the Open State website
- to send you newsletters and information about other things that may interest you, but only when you have agreed to us sending you this information or when the information is necessary to assist with the administration of the Open State website
- to respond to queries that you have contacted us about
- to attribute content that you post on the Open State website
- to analyse the use of the Open State website
- to inform policy decisions of the South Australian Government
- for any other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information.
We will protect and handle your personal information in accordance with the South Australian Government’s Information Privacy Principles. If we need to share your personal information with a third-party, then we will ensure that we comply with the Information Privacy Principles. A copy of the Information Privacy Principles can be obtained from the South Australian Department of the Premier and Cabinet’s website: http://dpc.sa.gov.au/privacy.
We monitor the activity of the Open State website. We collect information in the form of routine traffic analysis using Google Analytics, including information about the pages you visit on the Open State website and how you interact with those pages. In particular, we collect the following information about all users of the Open State website:
- a record of your visit to the Open State website
- your IP address
- the date and time of your visit to the Open State website
- the pages that you access on the Open State website
- the documents that you download from the Open State website
- the previous website that you visited
- the type of browser that you used.
All of the information collected through Google Analytics is completely depersonalised which means that we cannot identify who is doing the actions that we are monitoring. We will not attempt to identify you except where we are legally compelled to do so.
We intend to use the data that we collect using Google Analytics to improve the service we provide to you and other users.
What’s publically available and what’s not?
Not all of the information that you provide us will be able to be viewed by other users of the Open State website. Of course, information that you post on the websites will be able to be viewed by everyone who uses the website. Each post will contain your full name.
However, we will not disclose the following to other users:
- your password for the Open State website
- your email address
- any information obtained using Google Analytics
- communications that you send to firstname.lastname@example.org or that you send us through the Contact page on the Open State website
- information that you submit on the Open State website where the particular webpage specifies that the information will be kept confidential.
Is the information that we collect accurate?
We try to ensure that the information that we collect is accurate. However, we need your help with this. If the information that you have provided us is no longer accurate, please contact us at email@example.com so that we can update our records.
When will we contact you?
We may send you information and announcements from time to time by email or by social media. We may also contact you on your telephone.
You can choose to receive newsletters and other updates from us by email. If you choose this but then change your mind, you can unsubscribe at any time by following the process set out in the emails that we send you.
There are some other important matters that you should know about:
- you should note that there are inherent risks associated with transmission of information via the internet. You should make your own assessment of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not to use the Open State website.
- the information that you submit through the Open State website may be transferred to countries other than Australia.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.